Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Why I purchased a 1999 Golf GL...with issues

After driving the Civic for a few days, I started to notice all the things that I missed after hastily purchasing it. The obvious problems were oil and valve cover leaks. The less obvious issues were leaks around other places on the head. After investigating further, I learned that it had enough other problems that it would be out of commission for a while. I was disappointed and pleased at the same time. I was glad I was going to work on a car, but sad that I HAD to work on the car. ( I will get into all that was wrong in later posts.) This meant I would need something else to drive while it was down.
So, I played the same game I played a few months earlier. I searched Craigslist and Facebook market place for a cheap, running car with good aftermarket support. After several failed attempts to reach and/or meet with sellers, I ended up buying a silver 1999 MK4 Golf GL with a manual transmission. Again, it wasn't perfect. But the test drive went well enough for me to hand over $2100. The problem was solved. I now had a temporary daily to drive while the Civic was down. This was a familiar situation for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment